Reading short stories in German is one of the best and most enjoyable ways to improve your language skills fast.
By reading in German — instead of learning endless rules — you gradually learn to think in German.
If you’re just looking for the best books of short stories in German, here’s what I recommend:
In this article, I’ll tell you exactly what you can expect from these short story books, as well as explaining why reading short stories is such a powerful way to master your new language.
Why You Should Learn German Through Short Stories
You may have never considered learning German with stories. You might not even think it’s possible!
But from all my years of teaching and learning languages myself (eight languages so far!) I’ve found that a language learning method based on input – stories in particular – is the most powerful of all.
Not only is learning with stories extremely effective, it’s fun and enjoyable too!
By removing the need for a lot of the so-called “study” – the textbook or classroom work you probably remember from school – you’ll find the day-to-day experience of language learning with stories to be rich and fulfilling, quite unlike anything you’ve tried in the past.
But why learn with short stories in German instead of other traditional study materials?
Stories are effective for learning for a few reasons:
- Context – When reading stories, you’re learning new vocabulary and grammar in context. The result? You internalise the language naturally and develop an understanding of how it’s used in real life.
- Meaning – It is easier to understand and follow a series of relatable events in a story, than a set of theories or raw facts. This is why fiction is great for language learning. It makes the reading experience more enjoyable and your learning more effective.
- Emotion – Stories engage you on an emotional level, making the language you read more memorable and your study time more enjoyable
Stories not only help you expand your vocabulary and learn grammar naturally… they draw you in and hook you, so you actually get to the end of the page, chapter and book.
They allow you to feel a sense of achievement when reading in your new language.
And that’s the beauty of reading short stories in German….
They are fun and entertaining as well educational. So you can actually enjoy your study instead of feeling it’s a drag.
Introducing… Short Stories In German
I’ve published two short story books German:
- Short Stories In German For Beginners
- Short Stories In German For Intermediate Learners
These books are one of a kind because they use my unique StoryLearning® method to teach you German naturally.
Instead of learning through rules and practice exercises, this approach allows you to absorb the language naturally while reading entertaining stories at your level.
Each book features a collection of eight entertaining short stories for young and adult learners.
The beginner book has been written especially for students from beginner to intermediate level (A2-B1 on the Common European Framework of Reference).
The Intermediate book is written for students from a low-intermediate to intermediate level (B1-B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference).
This means you are reading at your level, so you can focus on enjoying reading without ever feeling overwhelmed or frustrated.
The result is that learning German becomes easy and enjoyable instead of a painful chore.
What’s Included In These Short Story In German Books?
I’ve carefully designed these books to be fun, easy to use and comprehensive so you can get the most out of your learning. Here’s what you’ll find inside:
- Enjoyable reading practice specifically designed for your level (beginner or intermediate) so can spend your time with the story instead of with your head in a dictionary
- Controlled language at your level to help you progress confidently between levels. The beginner book includes the 1,000 most frequent words in German. The intermediate book features thousands more!
- Accessible grammar so you learn new structures naturally, without feeling overwhelmed or frustrated.
- Authentic spoken dialogues to help you learn conversational expressions and improve your speaking ability while you read.
- Chapter summaries and comprehension questions to help you follow the plot and understand the stories.
- Vocabulary lists so you can quickly look up unfamiliar words without interrupting your flow.
- Beautiful hand-drawn illustrations which bring the stories to life and make what you read more memorable.
Want to practice your German listening while you read? High-quality new audio recordings are also available to accompany each book, so you can improve your listening skills as you read! (Sold separately)
And there’s also a handy Interactive app so you can read, listen and learn all at the same time…at home or on the go! “I don’t have enough time” will never be an excuse again!
About The Author
In case you’re new here, let me introduce myself. My name is Olly Richards and I’m a language educator, author and polyglot from the UK, who speaks 8 languages.
I’ve created dozens of critically acclaimed language courses and published a best-selling series of short story books in sixteen languages.
I’ve also been featured widely in international press from the BBC to the Independent, and am a regular speaker at international language events.
What Do Readers Say About These Short Story In German Books?
Students from around the globe love learning with my short story books. But don’t take my word for it.
Here’s how readers describe the experience of learning with short stories:
Language Teachers Love These Short Story In German Books Too
As you can see, language learners around the world love learning with Short Stories in German. But they’re not the only ones…
Language teachers often tell me how much they enjoy using these stories in their lessons because they make learning fun and minimise all those hours of stressful lesson prep.
Supplementary teaching materials are available to accompany these books for teachers who want quick, easy, and engaging supplementary materials for their lessons.
If you’re a teacher, click here to find out more.
Short Stories In German: A Great Way To Learn Fast & Have Fun!
As you can see, reading short stories in German is one of the best things you can do to improve your language skills.
And best of all… it allows you to learn the language in a fun and natural way, without memorising long lists of words and German grammar rules.
So what are you waiting for?
Head on over to Amazon or your favourite local bookshop and grab your copy of my short story in German books now!
Click the link below to purchase your copy (available in Kindle & Paperback):